Founded on August 24, 1949
WAY aims are as follow:
- Increase inter-ethnic respect and to foster inter-cultural and international understanding and cooperation.
- Facilitate the collection of information about the needs and problems of youth.
- Disseminate information about the methods, techniques and activities of youth organisations.
- Promote the interchange of ideas between youth of all countries.
- Assist in the development of youth activities and to promote, by mutual aid, the extension of the work of voluntary youth organizations.
- Cooperate in the development of national youth councils of voluntary youth organizations.
- Establish and maintain relations with the international organisations, both voluntary and governmental.
- Support and encourage the national movements of non-self governing countries in their struggle for national liberation.
- Promote tolerance, understanding, solidarity and cooperation among young men and women irrespective of race, sex, language, religion or political orientation.
- Encourage the full participation of young men and women in the development process of their countries.
- Improve the equality between young men and women.
- Promote the democratic participation of young people both in their own organisations and in the life of society as a whole.
- Act as a representative body of national youth councils to the UN and other appropriate governmental and non-governmental international bodies.
The World Assembly of Youth (WAY) is the international coordinating body of national youth councils and organisations. Find out more: www.way.org.my
Founded in 1949, WAY has general consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations and works in close cooperation with several UN agencies including UNAIDS, UNEP, ILO UNESCO, UNFPA, UNICEF and WHO.
WAY works for promotion of youth and youth organisations in programme areas such as: youth employment, environment, human rights, democracy, population, health, drugs, community development and leadership training.
The World Assembly of Youth has two main tasks:
To represent its members towards international organisations and institutions, and promote the work of voluntary youth organisations all over the world. WAY deals with all issues affecting youth in international, regional and local level.
WAY organises events on global, regional, and national levels.These events are often carried out in co-orporation with other international youth organisations, regional youth structures or national affiliates. WAY's representatives participate in various UN working groups and other meetings promoting youth issues and the interests of member organisations.
Lebuh Ayer Keroh, Kampung Teluk Baharu, 75450 Ayer Keroh, Melaka, Malaysia